To suit USRobotics Sportser Faxmodem Model #1786.
- PC running Win95, 98, NT.
- Program called 178602.exe. (Program comes zipped in a file called us178602.exe).
- Terminal program such as Telex, Procomm, Hyperterminal, etc.
Flash ROM Upgrade:
- Connect modem to appropriate serial port and turn on the modem. You do not need to install any drivers for this to work.
- Run the file 178602.exe. It will automatically detect the USR modem and ask if you wish to upgrade the ROM. Click on “Flash” to proceed.
- When the upgrade has completed, exit the program, turn off the modem for 5 seconds and then turn on the modem again.
Modifying the modem’s default settings:
You will need to use a terminal program that communicates with the appropriate serial port for this section. (ie. Telex, Hyperterminal, etc.). Make sure the port speed is set to 38400.
- Type at and make sure you get an OK from the modem. If not check your software settings are correct for the port you using.
- Send the command at&f0
- Next send the command string atx3y0&b1&p1s0=2&w0&w1
- Finally, send ati4 to confirm changes. Check that "baud" is set to 38400.
The modem now has correct firmware settings and upgraded to handle the V90 protocol.